Saturday, December 18, 2010

From our Fearless Leader

I just got this in my inbox today, from Barack Hussein Obama "himself" (written by someone else, most likely).

You may be able to guess what I'm thinking.


Friend --

Moments ago, the Senate voted to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

When that bill reaches my desk, I will sign it, and this discriminatory law will be repealed.

Gay and lesbian service members -- brave Americans who enable our freedoms -- will no longer have to hide who they are.

The fight for civil rights, a struggle that continues, will no longer include this one.

This victory belongs to you. Without your commitment, the promise I made as a candidate would have remained just that.

Instead, you helped prove again that no one should underestimate this movement. Every phone call to a senator on the fence, every letter to the editor in a local paper, and every message in a congressional inbox makes it clear to those who would stand in the way of justice: We will not quit.

This victory also belongs to Senator Harry Reid, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and our many allies in Congress who refused to let politics get in the way of what was right.

Like you, they never gave up, and I want them to know how grateful we are for that commitment.

Will you join me in thanking them by adding your name to Organizing for America's letter?

I will make sure these messages are delivered -- you can also add a comment about what the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" means to you.

As Commander in Chief, I fought to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" because it weakens our national security and military readiness. It violates the fundamental American principles of equality and fairness.

But this victory is also personal.

I will never know what it feels like to be discriminated against because of my sexual orientation.

But I know my story would not be possible without the sacrifice and struggle of those who came before me -- many I will never meet, and can never thank.

I know this repeal is a crucial step for civil rights, and that it strengthens our military and national security. I know it is the right thing to do.

But the rightness of our cause does not guarantee success, and today, celebration of this historic step forward is tempered by the defeat of another -- the DREAM Act. I am incredibly disappointed that a minority of senators refused to move forward on this important, commonsense reform that most Americans understand is the right thing for our country. On this issue, our work must continue.

Today, I'm proud that we took these fights on.

Please join me in thanking those in Congress who helped make "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal possible:

http://my.barackobama.com/Repealed

Thank you,

Barack



Just for the record, this may surprise many of you but I too am against "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" regarding homosexuals in the military. We simply shouldn't have them in our military at all.

Spencer

8 comments:

Stealth Jew said...

What kind of crazy mailing lists are you on?

President Obama needs to play up his one victory. Of the four major bills that came up this week, he lost two (DREAM Act and the spending bill), and one he clashed with his party on (extending the tax rates).

Jonas said...

How do these messages end up in your inbox anyway? :P

Maria said...

I must say I disrespectfully agree with you.

I could care less if my comment is posted or not, as long as it is read at least once.

I don't understand why you think this is a bad thing. I'm also a Christian and think that homosexuality is wrong but having people hide their sexuality in the military is not productive. This really is not a spiritual issue.

The Warrior said...

Like I always tell people, I like to keep an eye on EVERYTHING!

;-)

Squee said...

"you can also add a comment about what the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" means to you."

What does it mean to me? Oh gosh. Must... keep... bad... thoughts... to... self...

;)

The Warrior said...

Maria: May I then ask, do you believe that God's Word is the sourcebook for all life? All issues are spiritual issues.

Squee: Ha...hahahaa!

Nuttycomputer said...

"We simply shouldn't have them in our military at all."

.... I was extremely surprised by this comment. I imagine a homosexual individual can fire a gun just as well as a heterosexual. In fact I know several such individuals that shoot far better than I do. So by what reasoning should they not be allowed in the military?

May I then ask, do you believe that God's Word is the sourcebook for all life? All issues are spiritual issues

I know your question was directed at Maria and in that respect your point is clear. If you and Maria believe the Bible to be the literal word of God then one should act based upon that belief and all issues are spiritual.

The problem is not everyone holds your belief and some people hold beliefs that would require them to kill you and others.

Obviously we cant have the chaos that would ensue by allowing that so a long time ago in our nation's history we decided to resolve this conflict by keeping Government and Religion as separate as possible. The 1st Amendment was born.

Taking that stance "Dont Ask, Dont Tell" and keeping gays out of the military makes no logical sense to me.

Maria said...

I do, but I believe people must make their own choices.

If people want to defy God, than that is the choice they must live with. They are still human beings, still loved by God (although not His children) and must be treated with basic respect. I don't agree with their choice, but that doesn't mean I should treat them as second class citizens.

(And oh dear, my English has failed me. I of course meant to say in my original comment that I "Respectfully disagree". Pardon the lapse!)