Friday, April 16, 2010

URGENT! California AB 1934: Complete ban of hand gun open carry

ACTION ITEM #2 (URGENT)

Okay, adding this as an Action Item was unexpected, but it has just come to my attention. We have very, very little time. I'm going to beg for anyone and everyone's help on this one. It's not just about Obamacare; it's about everything. Without our guns, we have nothing.

Whether or not you are a California resident, this is of consequence to you. California is the most populous state in the nation, and what happens here, other states watch (remember Prop 8?).

The other side has introduced a bill that would ban open carry of handguns in the entire state of California. Now, for Californians, open carry is already a headache; besides worrying about no-carry zones (schools, etc.), CA residents are not allowed to carry their guns loaded. That's right, they have to carry the magazine separately. And concealed carrying is only allowed via permit, which is pretty normal nationwide, but as CA is not a "shall issue" state, CCW permits are almost never granted (the authorities get to decide whether or not you have a "valid" reason).

And now, they want to take it all away. What's more, the matter is going to be decided this Tuesday, April 20th!

Who cares what state you live in? In the link are phone numbers and email addresses. I'm asking you to call every phone number on that list, and send a message to every email address on that list as well. This will take some of your time, but it is well worth it.

If this is your first time with being "politically active," it's pretty easy actually. I understand it has an intimidating aura at times, but it really is simple. Just place phone calls, and say something like you want to comment about AB 1934 and that you ardently oppose the bill, make some sort of personalized comment (e.g., "I am a firearms owner and believe in the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms" or something like that), and, as for me, I often like to remind them that if they vote against our wishes, I will do everything I can to get them voted out. Keep it CIVIL and PROFESSIONAL; no profanity, insults, or anything. Just make your comments.

Here's a tip; I once had someone answer just such a call once and then claim that they physically could not input my comment without my name and ZIP code. I hung up, then called right back; I got another person, and he took my comment without issue. So, if they give you trouble, keep at it, and don't be discouraged. Keep it short and sweet and everything should go A-OK. What's the worst that can happen? They get annoyed? It's not like it's someone you have to live with in your house or work with everyday or anything....

As to letters, we don't have enough time for that, but what we do have are plenty of inboxes to fill up. I've composed a sample letter which you can use; feel free to slap your name and their name on it, copy, and paste into emails to the assemblymembers. If you're a CA resident, I recommend you add something that says such, and if you're a gun owner, I also recommend you mention that as well. A quick comment about the good firearms experiences you've had might be appropriate.

After doing all of this, you might think about topping it off by telling friends or family about this and encouraging them to speak out as well (email, phone, text, blog--feel free to cross-link my post here--, forums, personal conversations...anything!).

Well? I've given you everything you need. What on earth are you waiting for?



Dear Assemblymember ________,

My purpose in writing you today is my deep concern over AB 1934. As a strong believer in our nation's Constitution and the 2nd Amendment, I hereby oppose AB 1934 and reaffirm my right to keep and bear arms at all times and wherever I am present. California has enough strict laws that bar firearms owners from far too many of their constitutional liberties. I am impelled to convey to you my intention to remember and vote out anyone who gives a "yes" vote on AB 1934 as well as to encourage my friends and family to do the same.

As a citizen of the United States of America, I hereby invoke my rights and ask that you please acknowledge them.


Sincerely,

_______________



Please help me on this one. This is desperate.

Spencer

5 comments:

Gravelbelly said...

Just finished the emailing. Hope it helps.

The Warrior said...

Thank you; I won't be forgetting your help anytime soon.

fuzzys dad said...

I cross posted.
I have emailed.

Kristi said...

Hi Spencer,
I just sent an email. I am guessing this is the post you asked me to look at and comment on.
Just one other thought: it is important to do what we can in a polite, Christ-like manner in the natural world of politics and any number of other issues we face, but also remember that "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (natural, physical), but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds." (2 Cor. 10:4) "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:160b)

The Warrior said...

fuzzys dad: Thank you thank you!

Kristi: Thank you, too! Thank you for your comment as well.

Oh, and no, this post was actually the one I had asked you to please look at for me:

http://drpaleophd.blogspot.com/2010/03/now-it-begins.html