Monday, April 19, 2010

Results of my phone calls

Just a little while ago I made all my phone calls concerning AB 1934 (the hand gun open carry ban). This time I decided to ask if the assemblyman or -woman would be voting for or against the bill. Below are my results:


Legend:
+ - Assemblymember opposes AB 1934
- Assemblymember is in favor of AB 1934
? Phone attendant did not know Assemblymember's opinion in order to state

Assembly Member Tom Ammiano (D-13) - ?

Assembly Member Curt Hagman (R-60) - +

Assembly Member Danny D. Gilmore (R-30) - +

Assembly Member Jerry Hill (D-19) - ?

Assembly Member Jim Beall, Jr. (D-24) - ?

Assembly Member Anthony Portantino (D-44) - ?

Assemblymember Felipe Fuentes (D-39) - ? (The attendant hung up on me, but as he was apparently trying to transfer me, I believe it was an accident.)

Assemblymember Connie Conway (R-34) - ?
 
Assemblymember Steven Bradford (D-51) - ?

Assemblymember Charles M. Calderon (D-58) - ?

Assemblymember Joe Coto (D-23) - ?

Assemblymember Mike Davis (D-48) - ?

Assemblymember Kevin de Leon (D-45) - ?

Assemblymember Isadore Hall III (D-52) - ? (Attendant hung up on me after taking my comment, but before I had finished asking about Hall's opinion; I had to call back.)

Assemblymember Diane L. Harkey (R-73) - +

Assemblymember Jeff Miller (R-71) - ?

Assemblymember Jim Nielsen (R-2) - +

Assemblymember Chris Norby (R-72) - +? (See below.)

Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-14) - ?

Assemblymember Jose Solorio (D-69) - ?

Assemblymember Tom Torlakson (D-11) - ?

Assemblymember Alberto Torrico (D-20) - ?


Now if you look at this, you can see that the only ones who told me what they were going to vote were Republicans voting against this draconian bill. All Democrats, and two Republicans, had attendants that told me that they didn't know what the Assemblymember would vote. So, let me get this straight. You work for a guy, have no idea how he will vote on such a divisive and important, headline issue--and the only ones who do know how their "boss" is going to vote are the ones who have an opposing voter? Now is it just me? Do I not understand the system or something? Because that just sounds fishy to me. Call me a skeptic or what have you, but I can't help but wonder if said Assemblymembers (that is, those who would spit upon the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution) instructed their people to claim a lack of knowledge. Could just be me, eh?

But if you look at it that way...that means we're almost certainly going to lose. Fear not, Californians; many residing in the state have resolved to start carrying rifles around. Ha!

Now, about Chris Norby...I have never heard of him before, I don't know a lick about him, but what the guy who answered the phone said to me definitely piqued my interest. When I asked what the Assemblyman's opinion on the bill was, he said, "Assemblyman Norby is generally opposed to anything furthering the nanny state."

Wait.

What?

The "nanny state"?

That's our phrase!

A friend?

Who knows?

So, we'll see what happens tommorrow...or as one attendant said, possibly even Wednesday (?).

Spencer

4 comments:

WildWeazel said...

Or maybe the lefties just haven't been given their voting orders yet. I mean, the Party is practically a hive mind*, so it wouldn't be very prudent of them to go making up opinions of their own before the collective consciousness has spoken.

*Think of the Zerg from Starcraft. The parallels are astounding.

duva said...

When I saw that topic header I hoped you had posted a weird conversation or two with disagreeing assemblymembers or their attendants... :P

Oh, and as much as I actually oppose carrying guns I can't help but smile a bit at the idea of you people going out with rifles when handguns are banned. There is a strange appeal to that mental picture in my head ;)

The Warrior said...

WW: Hmm...interesting concept, my thoughtful friend.

The Warrior said...

duva: You may see that mental picture become true picture in the not so distant future....