Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I Have It

I don't know if this ever occurs to anyone else, things just popping into your head out of nowhere, but it has many times to me. It's been a while, what with my sidetracked mind and all. But, four or five days ago, something hit me as much unexpected as shocking. I personally found it chilling.

T-800s, NS-5s, Sentinels, or even C-3PO or Robby the Robot, it matters not. What matters is that they are coming and I believe they are dangerous. Yeah, yeah, you've heard it all before. Just some more grumbling by an old-fashioned barbarian who would sooner chuck his computer out the window than tolerate it, right? Hold on, and allow me to speak.

While the majority of these kinds of stories, in fiction at least, involve the AI unit(s) evolving to a higher state of some sort (as in the Terminatoresque idea of a state of self-awareness), it is well known here that I do not believe this can or will happen. Perhaps my first introduction to this kind of thinking came from Rousas J. Rushdoony's book, The Mythology of Science (which, by the way, if you haven't yet read, you should). Organisms cannot evolve, no matter what any Darwinist tells me. Therefore it is all the more impossible for a machine to do so. The AI units we see in the Terminator films (Skynet), I, Robot (VIKI), the Matrix trilogy, and even the recent bore-fest Eagle Eye (ARIA) will never happen. I firmly believe in this.

So why worry? Why be concerned? All we may ever see are incidents of malfunction, or, perhaps even android soldiers, with a human commander, used for a purpose. I believe that such events can, and likely will, happen. But neither of these incidents require anything even close to self-awareness.

We know what machines can do now. They can move, walk, and even talk, all independently. They also possess a rudimentary form of processing that some would be tempted to call thought. They can feel you touch them, turn around, and say "Ouch! Do not touch me!" The list goes on and on infinitely.

So how can they do all these things? We humans programmed them to do so. No matter how advanced, how amazing, or how "smart" these machines may become, humanity will always be the creator, will always be one step ahead.

Considering all of that, I am impelled to ask, what will these machines be capable of in the future? Or rather, what capabilities will we, as men, give them, the machines?

Don't ask why, or who, or any of those questions right now. Just ask yourself this: What if a human designer were to program an artificially intelligent machine to fight, hunt, and kill humans? What if this (these?) machine had no other function, indeed, was not capable of any other function, than to attempt the extermination of all of humanity?

"That, detective, is the right question."

Spencer

7 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

Not an invalid thought (fear?), and kudos to you for expressing it so eloquently. But humor me when I ask what would be the point in creating a machine to exterminate all human life, when that would essentially threaten the very humans that created the machine in the first place as well? I think it more likely that these machines would be programmed to annihilate a specific group of hunans, i.e., a certain religion.

fuzzys dad said...

You have a very valid point.Creepy

duva said...

Hey, not to start a discussion of evolution, but a question just popped into my mind when reading this: "Organisms cannot evolve, no matter what any Darwinist tells me."

How do you explain such things as breeding? That for example a cow weighs some 4-5 times more now than it did in the medieval (not sure I got the figures right, but something along those lines it is), not to mention the extreme difference in how much millk it produces; or things as different dog breeds (then again, in comparing a chihuahua to a wolf, maybe a word such as devolution would be more appropriate :P)

That said I do pretty much share your thought on our relationship to machines, if not quite being as worried - yet.

The Warrior said...

OF: Well, it could be a complete maniac. The world's known many. But, I did say don't ask who or why. The issue is that it can be done (I think).

duva: Not a problem! Thank you for bringing this question up; it's something that far too many are confused about as to what we Creationists believe on the subject. I'm happy to discuss it!

However, although I could try to tell you the best I know how, I feel you'll get a much better overview by browsing these articles. Sorry, but please take a look:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2002/01/10/national-geographic-woof

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v25/i4/poodles.asp

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/cfol/ch2-species.asp

Spencer

duva said...

Thanks for clearing that up! Those were interesting reads. Did cast some light on the creationist view of science in a bigger perspective as well.

The Warrior said...

Yes, as I had hoped they would. BTW, you gotta love the comment about degenerate mutants. :-P

duva said...

Lol! Yes, I did, then again I do find some poodles kind of cute, mostly the bigger ones though. However, to me, real dogs should look like this ;) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Yutori_Lapphunds.jpg (my parents owning one might of course make me biased, but still)