Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Beast breathes his last?

For all of you who have been following, I just got the best news I've had in 18 months. The Beast may be dead; I hope he is, and not merely asleep.

I'm afraid that part of me will now always fear the Beast. This isn't the first time he has struck, but it certainly has been the worst. I've certainly changed in some ways, permanently. It's this Beast that I'm still afraid of...even now I feel almost premature in writing this. The current state of the world is just so that it nourishes the Beast beyond any other circumstance. I do not feel ashamed to tell you today that I fear it. But, a long time ago, when I was still in the business of creating maxims for myself (something that Stonewall Jackson did for himself in his younger years as well, curiously), I thought of what rings true today: It isn't whether or not we feel fear, that makes us men. It's what we do in the face of it.

(Speaking of all that, I just realized a week or so ago that the motto fortitudine vincimus is an excellent motto to apply to the past 18 months--brownie points to whoever can figure that one out.)

But, that wasn't my point in posting. I want to thank you all for your prayers and comforting comments. It may just be that, after all of this, my General has ended the lesson (and I can only hope that I did learn the intended lesson--I know I learned more than one). Only time will tell. All I can say now is, things are definitely looking amazingly better.

I hope my blog posts will slowly increase, as I'll have more time to do this or that now. I have a real crapload of reviews of books and movies for you that have piled up, and various other posts that I'm sure you all will love. Anything anyone wants to see? Misses? Likes? Bring it up here and now! I'm in an exceedingly harmonious mood. :-P

So, it's time to praise our God! Best Commander in the world. ;-)

Spencer

5 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

Here's to more Spencarian posts, because heck, even I've missed them!! ;-D

duva said...

"I just realized a week or so ago that the motto fortitudine vincimus is an excellent motto to apply to the past 18 months--brownie points to whoever can figure that one out."

Haec ad gaudia alius amitto ;)

Glad you're doing well anyhow, and being back in business!

guitargirl said...

Hey-ya! Great to hear you're doing better! God is indeed good :) Take care.

The Warrior said...

Duva, interpret that! Come on! I'm not that good, man! ;-/

duva said...

Hehe... "I leave that (the brownie points that is) for someone else's pleasure" it would mean, roughly.

But since no one has come to claim them, fortitudine vincimus would mean "through endurance (perseverance, fortitude even) we prevail/conquer/are victorious"

Ok, that wasn't very nice and clean :P I'll settle for "through endurance we prevail" which sounds most reasonable in this case.