Thursday, December 10, 2009

Movie Review: The Bourne Identity



This review is a follow-up to my review of Robert Ludlum's novel, and will be of the 2002 film with Matt Damon. Stay tuned for the 1988 television miniseries version with Richard Chamberlain.

I am forced to review this film on its own, as it is so wildly different from the book. (Oh, but the bank account number, it was almost exactly the same as the original--that earns points with me.) The premise is the same as the book: amnesiac man has no memory of his past, he follows his own trail to learn just who he is (a woman at his side along the way), and lo and behold, many people seem to want him dead, and he himself is very strange. You've all seen it, haven't you?

A suspenseful film, with a fair amount of action, but not too much. Very well done, good production values, good acting, lots of intrigue, and excellent fight scenes. (The apartment in particular is one fantastic scene. Realistic, not outlandish at all. I love the use of the improvised weapon, aka Bic pen. Recommended.) A very entertaining and eventful film that keeps you watching and thinking, which is always important. I had no issues here.

It is inferred that Bourne and his girl, Marie, have sexual intercourse, but all we see is some kissing and then the scene ends. OK, I don't like that, but at least they didn't show anything. Seriously!

As opposed to the book, Jason is more likable, and he also is protective of children. He takes care of Marie as well; the one action of his that bothered me was when he roughly pushes her into a wall. (Long story short, it was for her own protection, though.)

So, Bourne was a better man than in the book, but we still have two films to go. Therefore, I must wait to pass full judgement on him until I have seen all three. As to the film itself, it was good, but not glorious. I didn't like the inferred sex and I prefer films to be closer to their books, but to be fair, we did see some improvements on Ludlum.

In the end, it's up to the viewer, really.

Spencer

3 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

Obviously I haven't read the book, but I think this would be added to that very short list of "movies that are better than the novel"...;-P

I still need to rewatch Bournes #2 and 3, but I thought this was the best of the trilogy.

JT Norlander said...

I love these movies, they are excellent action and intrigue.

The only thing you didn't mention is that Jason does drop an F-Bomb in the care with Marie. But it's barely intelligible, (as evidenced by only two or so people knowing what I'm talking about when I tell them that.) :)

But otherwise a good review!

The Warrior said...

Yes sir, you are correct. I realized after posting that I neglected to mention the language usage (including other curse words besides the one you mentioned), but I hadn't yet had the chance to comment.

Spencer