Saturday, September 26, 2009

Plans to "grab" our Internet?

It troubled me to read news reports about the Cybersecurity Act of 2009, S.773. If enacted, the US President could declare a "cybersecurity emergency" and then would have the power to shut down the Internet in the U.S. and the Secretary of Commerce would have access to data, regardless of privacy. Soon after, I read this headline: Obama Plans Internet Grab: FCC to Embrace 'Net Neutrality'. Needless to say, this could have some "negative implications."


Um...

7 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

Oh, wonderful. I can just see a presidential news conference on TV stating that after "an unprecedented cyber attack" the internet has been shut down for "security measures." Just wonnnnderrful. *facepalm*

No one should have the authority to shut down the internet.

fuzzys dad said...

I wonder how Obama will define a emergency?

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Only time will tell...but honestly I ain't too bright and hopeful 'bout it.

Son3 said...

I think this post makes you a dissident, perhaps even a conspiracy theorist!

"Heir Commandant! Heir Commandant!"

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

;-P

Lawl.

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Herr Commandant ist hier. Was ist der Probleme? Ist seinem Papieren nicht in ordnung?

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

He has to, in order to shut down YouTube and blagues like this.
I have a bad taste in my mouth; I just watched a 12 minute video of Glenn Beck ranting about Obama's domestic military speech, then three videos from Congress addressing healthcare and the "Federal" Reserve.
The clouds are darkening, y'all! Sharpen your shootin' skills.