Friday, September 04, 2009

Fellow bloggers, it would appear we are under surveillance

On Facebook, MySpace? Obama's got your e-mail
White House spammer-in-chief wants contractor to track critics
Posted: September 02, 2009
8:57 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

The White House is hiring a contractor to harvest information about Americans from its pages on social networking websites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube and Flickr.

The National Legal and Policy Center, or NLPC, revealed the White House New Media team is seeking to hire a technology vendor to collect data such as comments, tag lines, e-mail, audio and video from any place where the White House "maintains a presence" – for a period of up to eight years.

"The contractor shall provide the necessary services to capture, store, extract to approved formats, and transfer content published by EOP (Executive Office of the President) on publicly-accessible web sites, along with information posted by non-EOP persons on publicly-accessible web sites where the EOP offices under PRA (Presidential Records Act) maintains a presence," the posting states....

As WND reported, the Obama administration has made several efforts to collect information about citizens in the past. The White House announced a program Aug. 4, pleading with people around the nation to forward to a White House e-mail address anything they see "about health insurance reform that seems fishy....

"By requesting that citizens send 'fishy' e-mails to the White House, it is inevitable that the names, e-mail addresses, IP addresses, and private speech of U.S. citizens will be reported....

In fact, according to the Electronic Privacy and Information Center, federal agencies have negotiated agreements and contracts with social networking sites like Google, YouTube, SlideShare, Facebook, AddThis, Blist, Flickr and VIMEO to collect information on visitors for federal websites. All of these private companies are known to have agreements with federal agencies, but the public has never seen them.

In public comments submitted to the Office of Management and Budget, EPIC notes it has obtained documents that show federal agencies have negotiated these contracts with the private sector in violation of "existing statutory privacy rights." Those agencies include: Department of Defense, Department of the Treasury, and the National Security Agency.

There are suspicions the White House is already involved....

7 comments:

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

"The White House is hiring a contractor to harvest information about Americans from its pages on social networking websites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube and Flickr."
That's why I'm not on any of those.
This certainly violates the spirit of the Constitution, though not necessarily the actual law. Or does it?

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

May I ask sir, what makes you think your blog is any different?

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

?????
I don't have a blog.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Whups, sorry. I knew that. :-P

But your comments...?

guitargirl said...

I don't really care if Obama reads what I say about him. He'll just have to come drag me away and lock me up for using my freedom of speech. *rolls eyes* And anyways, he'll have to get my uncle first because my uncle is about 14x worse than I am; so at least I'll have fair warning. LOL!

WildWeazel said...

"up to eight years"... now what could that possibly coincide with?

This didn't surprise me at all. There have been rumors for years that Facebook is affiliated with the CIA and other security agencies in order to farm personal information. But conspiracies aside, why wouldn't a government that wiretaps its citizens and asks them report each other for political dissent, take advantage of the greatest source of public information in the world?

Courtney said...

I'm totally not surprised..this definitely violates citizen's privacy and freedom of speech. It is NONE of the government's business where I live, what I do, who I associate with, and what I say. Much less what I say on my personal blog.