Monday, September 21, 2009

An Exercise for Thee: Part 2

Awesome job, everyone! Thanks for participating, and thanks to you all for trying to work with the issue.

Some of you came close to my answer. To those who didn't, awesome try anyways. ;-) I admit it, I was vague.

The "real" answer is.... (Note: Due to the nature of the pending discussion, I would ask that only adults proceed.)

Human/robot sexual relations. I believe that we will see the time come, soon perhaps, when this is deemed a serious issue for discussion (or, perhaps even an issue for activism and possibly even pro-stance legislation, God forbid). As ridiculous as this may seem, if you think about it many innocent minds of the past would likely have found the "LGBT" movement unthinkable. We need to be prepared. Whether such expectations ever come true or not, we are wise to be "ready always" (1 Peter 3:15).

As to a direct Biblical answer to this issue, I would point to the many verses condemning bestiality in the Bible. While robots are not actually mentioned in the Bible (clearly), to claim that the holy, revealed Word of God is not complete and all-encompassing is making one elephant of an heretical claim. (See 2 Timothy 3:16 just to start with.) We have the greatest instruction manual of all time, one that gives us all the answers we will ever need in life. I subscribe to the hermeneutic position that even Biblical patterns and precedents and such can, if properly interpreted, be used as applications for matters that the Bible is seemingly "silent" on.

Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 22:19

Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
Leviticus 18:23

And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Leviticus 20:16


Cursed be he that lieth with any manner of beast. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Deuteronomy 27:21

While it doesn't say "robot", "android" or anything else in the Bible, I still am confident that the answers are clearly given. Sexual relations with animals are clearly and absolutely forbidden. I declare this to be the same as with robots (And yes, even non-sexual human/robot "romances" would be impermissible!).

This would be my answer. However, I am by no means impressed with my own opinions, therefore I do not hold that this is the only answer to this issue out there. I'll leave that for better men to find.

Whatcha all think?

Spencer

2 comments:

olde.fashioned said...

I would only humbly submit my own interpretation of scripture that any sexual activity outside the confines of marriage between one MAN and one WOMAN (thankyouverymuch) is a sin. Thus, if it's not a member of the opposite sex that you're married to, then it's a sin. And obviously you can't marry a machine...though some sickos might like to try that sometime in the future. O.o

Great way to anticipate the future, btw.

duva said...

Hmm.. good one, Spencer. I must admit that the idea of human/robot sexual relationships had never even crossed my mind... and let's hope the idea will stay absurd..