Sunday, July 26, 2009

Demons of my Dreams

I had what was probably one of my scariest dreams ever last night (and that's saying something!).

It was only about two hours after I'd gone to bed. It took place in my backyard area, in my real home. I was inside looking out, and instead of the end of my backyard there was a wall-like building or structure there, with holes in it (almost like the kind you'd think of being in the walls of the Alamo--that color, too). On top of this structure stalked a skeleton--no joke. For some reason we all knew these beings were a threat to our safety, and my sister, who was behind me, was very frightened. I summarily ordered her upstairs (for some reason this was a safe area), and I stepped outside. If there was a skelly on the wall, there would be more, and someone had to stop them.

As in so many of my dreams, I was very drained and incredibly slow. My movements were so laborious that I was neither strong nor fast, and my task was therefore ridiculous. Somehow I got high enough on the wall to engage this osteo-enemy, and thankfully he was pretty slow too. I had to muster all of my strength to even hurt him, and then that was incredibly difficult. I used a knife that had been in my right pocket, a big folder, as my only weapon. I cut a limb bone off, and after some more wrangling I used the glass breaker tip at the butt of my knife to smash his skull, driving hard until I'd crumbled the entire cranium and made contact with the other side of his skull.

But there were more. More skellies came, and then even more disturbing, there appeared a number of human-like little ghouls, or goblins. I can't describe them accurately very well I'm afraid. Only around three or four feet tall, skin-toned, naked, hairless bodies with very hairy heads--long, spiky locks and loads of facial hair. Suffice it to say, they were demonic.

As they stalked slowly forward, I fought hard, but more and more appeared. I couldn't plug every gap in the wall at once, and the last thing I remember was being at the biggest hole and having one or two skellies opposing me and around half a dozen of the troll beasts....

I woke up with a start. Man, that had been freaky! My wits came about me instantly, and I got up to use the restroom. Still half-asleep as I went back to bed, I was unusually freaked. I was getting chills up my spine and still felt somewhat...well, scared actually. I half-expected to see a troll somewhere, waiting to jump out at me. That's what happens when you're not all there I suppose....

Very strange. I don't know where this dream came from, really. The setting was in my own home/backyard, I used one of my own knives (I'm not sure, but some of the time I may have fought underhanded, like Michael Janich's method I recently saw illustrated--except for when I used the glass breaker), and the trolls were similar to a little drawing I saw on the net a while back (used to signify internet trolls). And the skull crushing I did was strangely similar to what I described the main character of Cornwell's book Agincourt having done with a crossbow bolt. Very odd.

And a night or two before that I was literally in the shoes of Bryan Mills of the film Taken. Not him, but myself in his shoes. Different setting, but I was still busting baddies. Yesh, I much prefer that dream....

Spencer

15 comments:

Lady Neferankh said...

Hmm, the thing that gets me is that both enemies you battled, the animate skeletons and little, hairless, spiky-headed ghouls, do sound a lot like demons in the mythology of some cultures (have you been reading any mythology or folklore of late?), the skeleton things, remind me perhaps of something from Viking mythology but I can't quite remember...

That said, here's to better, baddie-busting dreams in the future!

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

No, I haven't...the second-to-last paragraph listed all possible subconscious references I could think of. The skellies were almost like that old Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movie I used to watch when I was a kid. (Note: not recommended for the Christian viewer!)

Weird, eh?

That said, here's to better, baddie-busting dreams in the future!

Heartily agreed! I love fighting dreams, just not...ones that apparently can freak me out (which...like never happens...odd?)

Thanks!

Spencer

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

P.S. The hair was spiky, they didn't actually have spikes. Hope I didn't give that idea first time around. The pic I think my mind may have gotten them from: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/23730-3.html

*Stacy* said...

wooooooooooah, CRAZY dream! I use to be obsessed with interpreting dreams... then I became tired of writing all my dreams down. Ha, ha, interpreting can become pointless. Sometimes a dream is just a dream. :) But that sounds intense.

My summer has been pretty busy, obviously from my lack of posts. But I'm trying to come back. :)

olde.fashioned said...

I agree with LN about the traditionally demonic images. Do you think it's possible these are the true faces of demons that invaded your dreams? (*doezn't like to think about this*)

I hope you dream about guardian angels tonight instead of creepy little monsters!!!

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Stacy: I know, huh? :-D I agree, some dreams have a meaning I'm convinced, but others are just plain nothing (I'm convinced).

Anyhow it's so awesome to see you back. How have you been? It's been an age since we've had a chat, eh? :-P

Lauren: True faces? I doubt it. I don't think they really have "true faces" being spirit beings and all. Of course they can adopt faces...and I actually did see a couple photos of what I would identify as demons (if real anyhow, and I think they were) on a paranormal TV show a while back, but they looked nothing like these dudes.

I didn't mind the beasties so much, and fighting pretty much anything in my dreams is always pleasing, but I wasn't fighting well and the fear in the dream carried over way too much, lol!

My official opinion is that it means nothing; perhaps some weird product of my subconscious right now, but meaningless more or less.

Spencer

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Weird yet entertaining post Spencer!
Scary. I've had nasty combat dreams before, but nothing like that. Interesting analysis on what caused it!

Son3 said...

Wow, that sounds awful!

I hate the slow-mo dreams... they're the worst.

Amazing what dreams like that will do to your head, making an otherwise very rational person into a paranoid mess.

Here's to a restful night, and don't eat anything after nine o'clock.

:)

guitargirl said...

Last night I had a dream that Mom had another girl and I got stuck taking care of it and my cousin Desiree` whom I can't stand switched the baby with a doll. So I put the baby down for a second to go do something and came back and saw that the baby wasn't moving and was cold and all that and I freaked out like "OMiGosh! It's dead!" and then I found out Desiree` switch it and then I got mad and hated her even more than I noramlly do :) I have such a twisted mind sometimes...I'm tellin ya ;)
P.S.- I love Taken! :-D Liam is the new Chuck Norris ;)

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Son3: I once had a dream that I was in the process of being abducted by aliens (that's what I get for reading Alien Intrusion, lol) and wasn't nearly so "scared" as this one made me when I was half-awake.

GG: LOL, funny. :-D And yeah, Taken has a lot of value. Did you happen to read my review of it?

http://drpaleophd.blogspot.com/2009/02/movie-review-taken.html

I had a few issues with it that I needed to think about it for some time, but after I caught myself saying to myself, "That movie is going to be required viewing for my own daughters when I have them..." I realized I really should indeed buy it, if for nothing else than to loan it to girl friends (as in female acquaintances, not anything else!). This is why I have it in my Amazon store now....

Spencer

olde.fashioned said...

Son3: don't eat anything after nine o'clock.

I know it's technically midnight, but are we not supposed to get him wet, either? (LOL)

guitargirl: P.S.- I love Taken! :-D Liam is the new Chuck Norris ;)

LOL! Isn't that (forgive the word) an awesome movie? ;-D I enjoyed it as well, and now I'm getting the urge to make graphics out of it, LOL. *halo* Guitargirl, wanna know why Chuck Norris uses a nightlight? (Shamelessly stealing your CN jokes, Spencer!!) It's not because he's afraid of the dark -- it's because he's afraid of Bryan Mills. ;-P

Spencer: This is why I have it in my Amazon store now....

Riiiiight....and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Bryan Mills is about as cool as they come (replete with an all-black wardrobe, including black jeans ala someone else I know...), has really snazzy taste in weapons, and can kill with his bare hands? Oh, not to mention the fact that he kicks just about every you-know-what he comes in contact with...*halo* ;-D

guitargirl said...

Hey there. I read your review (Although didn't make it through all the comments ;)) and I think it was pretty good. Intitally, me and Mom were just taping the movie because my dad wanted to see it and Mom was like "Hm, PG-13. You're sister can't watch it, so I'll probably just set the VCR to 'record' and turn the TV off." But eventually we got sucked in to the plot and we just sent my sister upstairs and watched it ourselves. LOL!

As far as I'm concered, aside from the swearing and drugs and crap, it's a movie that a lot of young girls SHOULD see. It might wake them up somewhat. I mean, these girls just shared a ride with a complete stranger, showed him where they were staying, and then informed him that they were alone. HELLO?! That's a BAD IDEA!!! o.O But so many kids do that these days and then wonder how they were to blame when things go horribly wrong. The movie is an eye-opener for sure ;)

And I love that "I don't know who you are..." quote too. It's so, I dunno, if 'Liam' was an adjective I would say "That's so Liam!" HAHA!

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Guitargirl, wanna know why Chuck Norris uses a nightlight? (Shamelessly stealing your CN jokes, Spencer!!) It's not because he's afraid of the dark -- it's because he's afraid of Bryan Mills. ;-P

Hey, hey, knock it off here! I decided to let guitargirl's CN comment go, but redoing his jokes? This is an outrage! ;-P

And yes, that's the real reason I added it to my store.

it's a movie that a lot of young girls SHOULD see. It might wake them up somewhat. I mean, these girls just shared a ride with a complete stranger, showed him where they were staying, and then informed him that they were alone. HELLO?! That's a BAD IDEA!!!

EXACTLY why I recommend it. :-) and the language wasn't too bad, and the "drugs" was always in a negative context. I thought all that was handled well.

Thanks for reading/watching!

Spencer

guitargirl said...

Yep, yep :) LOL! I didn't even think of that when I posted my first comment. I'm sorry for taking the name of Chuck Norris in vain ;)

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

LOL now that's goin' too far, lol, it's okay. :-P