Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Back!

Unpleasantness aside, a few interesting little tidbits from my absence are something to offer to the blogosphere.

-I discovered that no, it wasn't silly to have wanted to bring my Leatherman. I found several tasks I could have used it for. Wish I'd brought it. Take it from me--if you have to cut through metal, no matter how thin, don't use a blackened knife blade. I ruined Mucius, my little Gerber folder. I'm just deeply grateful that I didn't shred a knife that cost a fortune. I can handle $11.99--the worst part was that I was kinda attached to Mucius. No biggie, would of happened sooner or later. You all just know I was planning on shanking the Tin Man one of these days anyway...

-I caught a dragonfly, without a net. A closed garage did prove useful, however...we'll see how he pins.

-Spencer does not like lizards that can taunt him with their upside-down climbing skills.

-I had an amazing culinary experience at an Asian buffet, where my plate was adorned with food that stared back up at me. A crab shell with a lopsided eyestalk, a whole shrimp, whole crawdad, and a whole octopus. That was yummy.... Eel apparently isn't bad, either (at least in sushi). The only time I wasn't happy is when someone else pointed to something on my plate and I about freaked when I looked at it closely. I was told it was merely octopus ("October" was the word used in broken English--hilarious), but I'm pretty sure it was a squid (which I also ate, as well as clams and mussels). But, I swear, for a minute there it looked like nothing less than tripe. As my readers will likely readily attest, if it moves Spencer will likely eat it, but if there's one thing he doesn't want on his table, it's gut chunks.

-I am still working over some crazy television programs in my mind.

Hmmm....

Spencer

15 comments:

duva said...

"-Spencer does not like lizards that can taunt him with their upside-down climbing skills."

Haha, that comment had me laughing out loud (for some reason). Welcome back from whatever you were doing ;)

(Oh, and Asian buffets generally rock, even though I stay away from the seafood these days)

Ipwergis-Pudding said...

:)

Gravelbelly said...

It's always a good thing to need a tool & not have it -- as long as your life doesn't depend on it. Helps you to plan for those occasions when it may.

olde.fashioned said...

I saw that Mucius had been scarred when you let me use him. I thought of them as battle scars. ;-) I am sorry your baby got busted, though. *sniffles*

You all just know I was planning on shanking the Tin Man one of these days anyway...

ROTFLOL! For my part the Cowardly Lion was the most annoying...then again the Scarecrow bugs me and doesn't hold a candle to a certain other Scarecrow...*halo* ;-)

Spencer does not like lizards that can taunt him with their upside-down climbing skills.

Hee hee, I'll bet upside-down-climbing lizards don't like being bothered, but do enjoy taunting Spencer as they scurry out of his reach! ;-P

...if there's one thing he doesn't want on his table, it's gut chunks.

You mean you wouldn't try haggis?! *gaspshock*

I am still working over some crazy television programs in my mind.

I am still missing Fox News and the History channel. *pouts*

Mada said...

Octopus? *chokes, gags and makes a plethora of other various unpleasant noises*

Smoked eel is good, by the way. I'd also like to try snake sometime; I hear it's very tender.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

duva: LOL. :-P And why no seafood? Something to do with your health?

Gravelbelly: Very true...btw, thank you for the recommendation. The Leatherman is still new. I might not have been quite so confident in the brand unless you'd recommended it.

OF: The History Channel has some good stuff by default, but overall they're a crock. (I disgustedly watched most of a show where "experts" claimed that the OT references to supernatural events were alien contact. NO dissenting scholars, either!)

Mada: I almost got to try snake in Utah, but they didn't have it at the time.... :-(

olde.fashioned said...

Mada -- Octopus isn't bad, it just tastes like squid (if you've eaten it; chewy/slightly rubbery fishy stuff if you haven't). And what's this about being willing to eat snake (*GAG*), but not octopus??

Spencer -- I know they're not entirely on the up-and-up (aren't all secular "educational" that way?), but it's better than reality shows. And you mean to tell me that you actually expected a differing point of view? On mainstream, secular, liberal, cable television?????

I almost got to try snake in Utah, but they didn't have it at the time....

Oh, such a tragedy....I'll bet all the snakes in UT were rejoicing, LOL! ;-P

Courtney said...

I found your blog through Elissa's website www.proverbs31maiden.blogspot.com. I have really enjoyed looking around at all your posts. It's great to see someone who is shamelessly championing old fashioned values and causes! Keep up the nice work.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Lauren: No, I didn't expect anything different at all. I just meant that it shows their strong bias.

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Sir, do you have any articles on the war between the states? I am looking for as many references as possible.
Gratefully Yours,
Johann Van De Leeuw

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Articles? As in...internet, newspaper, magazine, etc.? What I should ask first is if you are looking for any specific subject (the South, a certain battle, campaign, theater of war, general, etc.). I can give you lots of references but they will mostly be books.

Spencer

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Sorry. Any article on why the South Was Right that you think are well written and accurate would be greatly appreciated.
Gratefully Yours,
Johann

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

No need to be sorry my friend! I don't really have any "articles." I read Civil War magazines sometimes (America's Civil War, Civil War Times) but that won't really suit your needs. Hmm... I like the blog Old Virginia Blog, it's alot about current events but if you look into it enough you might get some fodder.

http://oldvirginiablog.blogspot.com/

So, I'm sorry I'm not much help there. I could do internet searches but you would accomplish more doing that on your own I think....

Overall, while you may not be looking for a 700+ page tome, Robert Lewis Dabney's Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson. While all about Jackson, the 50 page chapter "Secession" will suit you very nicely. It would stand quite well on its own. Although it looks crazy to anyone who knows me now, I wasn't always a Johnny Reb. This very chapter converted me finally to the southern cause. If you can, check it out!! You can find it at my Amazon store or through Vision Forum (see my sidebar links).

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, please let me know! Also feel free to leave your email and I will not publish the comment, thus keeping it private.

God bless!

Spencer

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Thanks Spencer! I'll check that book out sometime...meanwhile it'll go on my list. I currently read Old Virginia Blog, and I too enjoy it. An unpublished comment? Soon I think. Does Son3 have your email? If so, I could just ask him.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Hmm, no he doesn't but that's a good idea...hey, Son3! :-P