Tuesday, June 02, 2009

My Day: Part 1, Thus I Meet With the Sanctioned Vampire

Today was rather...unusual.

I had to visit the doctor today. It was concerning an issue I have been dealing with for some time, and long story short today I saw my doctor. It was by no means bad news, but the issue is still completely unsolved for now, so I would sincerely appreciate any prayers you all might have to offer.

After seeing my doctor (Did I ever tell anyone how much I hate anything doctor-y?), I had to have blood taken. *cue long history* Similar to my fear of spiders, a queasiness around blood has been something I've dealt with for a long time. Also like my fear of spiders, I thought I'd dealt with most of it. I can cut myself and bleed like a faucet and not even flinch, but anything to do with veins.... It's almost like an instinct. Arthropods have a ventral artery, and that's one reason why they cannot stand to be turned onto their backs. It's clearly a self-preservation instinct, as they surely have no knowledge of their own inner anatomy. Similarly, I am hypersensitive to such areas as my heart region, my wrists, bulging veins anywhere on my body, etc. If it's a cut, it's no biggie anymore, but I apparently have retained my distaste of anything circulatory.

And writing this is making me squirm....

I got my blood taken, although thinking it was quick, I soon began to feel light headed. This rapidly progressed and I seriously did not feel good. I was taken care of by the phlebotomists (that's a cool new word I learned, yay me!) there, but seriously, they had to lie me down for a while. Bleh.... At least I know how nasty it must be to loose a ton of blood now. That was interesting. My arm felt weak, truly but mostly psychologically, for the rest of the day. I felt like a friggin' wimp....

I left the doctor's office and then....

5 comments:

Lady Neferankh said...

"The Blood is the life..."

Joking aside, at least the blood test went OK, and hopefully it's nothing serious! Good luck with everything!

Ipwergis-Pudding said...

:(

I remember... four or five years ago?... we were visiting my grandparents up in Salt Lake (we were living in California). I get bloody noses really easily, and Utah's altitude and dryness don't help. This particular visit, I happened to get a really big bloody nose, and we had the hardest time getting it to stop, trying all the different methods we knew and even calling the hospital to see what they would tell us. Finally we got it to stop, and went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom...and passed out because I had lost so much blood. I was very weak after that.

So I feel for you on the blood loss issue.

Besides that, well, maybe I'll email you this half of my comment...

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Haha, thanks everyone. :-) Blood test came back clean, so things are looking good but I still need some checking. We will see....

I hate doctor-ness.

Spencer

olde.fashioned said...

I've never had my blood drawn, and I'd like to keep it that way! I honestly don't know how I would handle it, and for the record Spencer, there's nothing to be ashamed of by feeling weak after having needles stuck into one's arm. After all, didn't Grant get sick at the sight of even a very little blood? ;-)

Ipwergis-Pudding said...

A quote from a friend from a year ago: "I've never given blood. I've had it forcefully removed, but I've never given blood." Sounds like you're the same way. :)