Friday, June 12, 2009

And you thought it was just your guns

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency is proposing a new definition that could be used to eliminate 8 of 10 legal pocketknives in the United States right now, according to activists who are gearing up to fight the plan.

...

The federal bureaucracy is accepting comments – written only – that must be received by June 21 before its planned changes could become final....

...

"They are saying that any knife that you can open quickly or any knife that you can open with one hand is therefore a switchblade," Ritter told WND.

...

He said the change came after the incoming administration of President Barack Obama reassigned some managers at the agency.


No guns, no knives....

It likely won't do much good, but I used some pre-written letters to make my own tiny bit of noise, and I would recommend that you do the same.

As a owner, user and carrier of knives, I 100% oppose any such draconian, unconstitutional attempts to rid me of my right to a mere tool, or, if you will, even self-defense and the defense of my family.

Who's with me?

Spencer

4 comments:

Ipwergis-Pudding said...

Hey, you'd better leave my pocket knife alone!!! I mean, the only thing I use it for is to whittle (except not right now because it's somewhere in a box on its way to Michigan).

Actually, that just reminded me of a song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang--"You can have me hat or me bumbershoot, but you'd better never bother with me ol' bamboo!" Yeah, leave it to Mariah to start with politics and end with a song from a children's movie. :D

Government is becoming too big. Which is always dangerous.

And now I have to go... so I won't be late for a training meeting. :)

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

News update: the Customs and Border Protection Agency has absolutely refused the repeated requests to extend the June 21st deadline.

Clearly, they don't want to hear a word of dissent. Writing government agencies, writing your congressmen--isn't this what is done in America?

Spencer

Mike said...

Hi Spencer,

Sorry for not commenting more often, things have been crazy around here lately.

I saw this and thought that you might be interested.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/04/daniel-defense-ddxv-california-compliant-ar-15/

~Mike

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Mike,

Hey there, good to hear from you! Thank you for the link. I duly drooled. :-P