Friday, March 13, 2009

Using Paramore to Decode America

My dear readers,

Please allow me to be a little...what shall we call it, foreboding, poetic, dark?

I really like this video here:




It's much better than anything having to do with Twilight (which is what Paramore's Decode was made for) and it's excellently done. But, on listening to it last night, something occurred to me. I've adapted the song to help fit the "meaning" that I "impressed" upon it, so-to-speak. Here are the original lyrics:


Decode, by Paramore
How can I decide what's right?
When you're clouding up my mind
I can't win you're losing fight
All the time
Now can I ever own what's mine?
When you're always taking sides
But you won't take away my pride
No, not this time
Not this time

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I think I know

The truth is hiding in your eyes
And it's hanging on your tongue
Just boiling in my blood
But you think that I can't see
What kind of man that you are
If you're a man at all
Well, I will figure this one out
On my own
(I'm screaming I love you so)
On my own
(But my thoughts you can't decode)

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I think I know

Do you see
What we've done?
We've gone and made such fools
Of ourselves

Do you see
What we've done?
We've gone and made such fools
Of ourselves

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
I think I know
I think I know

Oh there is something
I see in you
It might kill me
But I want it to be true



Here is "my version." This has nothing to do with Paramore at all, it is merely my adapation of the lyrics. I found them to be compelling in one way, and I've changed them up a bit to convey a message, or perhaps a question. Read, listen, and think.


How can I fight for what's right?
When they're destroying morality
I can't win this losing fight
All alone
Now can we ever keep our land?
When they're taking away our nation
But you won't take away my rights
No, not this time
Not this time

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I think I know

The truth is hiding in their eyes
And it's hanging on their tongues
Just boiling in my blood
But you think that I can't see
What kind of country we've become
Are we free at all?
Well, I will fight this one out
On my own
On my own

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I think I know

Do you see
What we've done?
We've gone and made such demons
Of ourselves

Do you see
What we've done?
We've gone and made such demons
Of ourselves

How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
How did we get here?
I used to know you so well
I think I know
I think I know

There is something
I see coming
It might kill us
I don't want it to come true



Spencer

*All song and lyric rights are not mine, and belong to Paramore or whomever. The adaptation of the lyrics is merely hypothetical/illustrative, and not meant to be factual, as well as it is in no way a copyright infringement.*

1 comment:

olde.fashioned said...

Verrry interesting. What is also interesting, is that I was doing almost exactly the same thing that you've done here, only with another song. I need to blog about it...

P.S. (so does this mean it's okay for me to admit that I really like this song?) *hides* lol