Sunday, October 26, 2008

Music Review: Misery Business, by Paramore



Song: Misery Business
Artist: Paramore
Album: Riot!

With their exciting rock style, Paramore's music sometimes attracts me due to the sound. The song Misery Business was the first of theirs I ever heard, and after getting over the initial confusion over the lyrical meaning and story I found myself identifying with the nasty overtones (again).

The lyrics are as follows:


I'm in the business of misery, let's take it from the top
She's got a body like an hourglass that's ticking like a clock
It's just a matter of time before we all run out
But when I thought he was mine, she caught him by the mouth

I waited eight long months, she finally set him free
I told him I couldn't lie, he was the only one for me
Two weeks and we'd caught on fire
She's got it out for me, but I wear the biggest smile

Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now
Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, to steal it all away from you now
But G** does it feel so good, 'cause I got him where I want him now
And if you could then you know you would
'Cause G** it just feels so...
It just feels so good

Second chances, they don't ever matter, people never change
Once a whore, you're nothing more, I'm sorry that'll never change
And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
Sorry honey, but I passed it up, now look this way

Well, there's a million other girls that do it just like you
Looking as innocent as possible to get to who they want and what they like
It's easy if you do it right
Well, I refuse, I refuse, I refuse!

Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now.
Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, to steal it all away from you now
But G** does it feel so good, 'cause I got him where I want him right now
If you could then you know you would
'Cause G** it just feels so...
It's just feels so good

I watched his wildest dreams come true
Not one of them involving you
Just watch my wildest dreams come true
Not one of them involving...

Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now
Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now
Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, to steal it all away from you now
But G** does it feel so good, 'cause I got him where I want him now
And if you could then you know you would
'Cause G** it just feels so...
It's just feels so good



And before my biblically-grounded readers hang me due to the vain uses of the Lord's name , let me write the review, all right?

First of all, we see Hayley (Williams, lead singer of Paramore) singing about her guy, and how she almost lost him ("But when I thought he was mine, she caught him by the mouth"), and then when she gets him back and exults in her victory ("I waited eight long months, she finally set him free/I told him I couldn't lie, he was the only one for me/Two weeks and we'd caught on fire/She's got it out for me, but I wear the biggest smile").



But we also see her rival ("She's got it out for me"), her love's former flame. The song has a touch of cattiness and, like I said, nastiness here ("Whoa, I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now/Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, to steal it all away from you now/But G** does it feel so good, 'cause I got him where I want him now/And if you could then you know you would/'Cause G** it just feels so... /It just feels so good"), but the thing is that's my favorite aspect of the song (besides the sound). Due to past experiences I can definitely understand the idea of the feeling of "I beat you, my rival" and what it might be like. I definitely identify with it. Understandably, it's not exactly perfect, but with it's excellent grasp of the emotions of such a situation ("It's just feels so good", "but I wear the biggest smile") and the talented lyrical representation, it at least strikes a chord with me, and frankly I love that part of the song. ...and to be fair she does say that she "never meant to brag", right?

Her rivalry, naturally, devolves into more hateful conflict ("Second chances, they don't ever matter, people never change/Once a whore, you're nothing more, I'm sorry that'll never change" and "I watched his wildest dreams come true/Not one of them involving you/Just watch my wildest dreams come true/Not one of them involving..."). Again, not exactly kosher, but still to be expected. The "whore" part has to be the worst in this sequence; normally if a male singer/group used that word I'd be on the Reviewer's Rampage, but since it's a woman speaking of a fellow woman it's a little less horrible (although it's still not up my alley).



We do see something of Hayley's enemy in the music video, where in an apparent high school setting she knocks several cheerleaders to the ground, cuts a girl's braid off, shoves a guy into a wall, causing pain to his sling-clad arm, and also very sensuously kisses a stolen boyfriend in front of his distraught girlfriend. Hayley, however, does go so far as to seek revenge, as she and her band members suddenly appear. She horrible smudges the girl's make-up, as well as removing her, uhm, false...how do I say this...augmentation devices?

On the other hand, I see a very positive aspect when Hayley cries "Well, there's a million other girls that do it just like you/Looking as innocent as possible to get to who they want and what they like", which is possibly a reference, albeit a debatable one, to sexual intercourse and the like, but I actually found this "I won't stoop to that level" attitude very applaudable. Our singer refuses to behave in such a manner as her rival did/does ("Well, I refuse, I refuse, I refuse!"), instead choosing the relative moral high ground. But on another negative note, she sings "And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged/Sorry honey, but I passed it up, now look this way". So, forgetting about the mysterious nature of those words, "passing up" on forgiveness doesn't sound very applaudable to me. And the title is also another possible negative touch (Misery?).



With all this alone the song would get a mixed review but would possibly (or even likely) find itself onto my tracklist nonetheless, but it's the use of the Lord's name in vain that puts the nail in the coffin ("But G** does it feel so good...'Cause G** it just feels so..."). This is quite unnecessary, is not very artistic in my opinion, and easily could be fixed with the word "because" or something like it instead (Because it feels so good...Because it just feels so...").

I like what little I have heard of Paramore. I like the sound and much of the lyrics of Misery Business. But, using my God's name in such a manner is going too far.

Spencer

4 comments:

Lady Neferankh said...

* the insomniac begins to type *

Oh yeah--I remember coming across this song after your sister sent me a link to another one of their songs--it's catchy, and there was nothing I personally strongly objected to--but it's still not quite my sort of thing. Good review though :D !

guitargirl said...

Hey. As I'm reading this review and the song's lyrics I'm like "Surley he's not going to give this thing a good review?!" LOL! I'm glad you gave it a not-good review. LOL!

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

* the insomniac begins to type *

*snorts*

I remember coming across this song after your sister sent me a link to another one of their songs

Really? She sent you one? All right, I admit it, her Paramore exposure is my fault. ;-P

Good review though :D !

Why thank ya missy! :-D

Hey. As I'm reading this review and the song's lyrics I'm like "Surley he's not going to give this thing a good review?!" LOL! I'm glad you gave it a not-good review. LOL!

Haha, thanks! That's why I put that little near-disclaimer thingy in there about not hanging me too early. :-P

Spencer

olde.fashioned said...

I remember coming across this song after your sister sent me a link to another one of their songs

Really? She sent you one? All right, I admit it, her Paramore exposure is my fault. ;-P


*raises hand slowly*

Okay, okay, guilty as charged!! But it's all your fault Spencer!!!! :-P

it's still not quite my sort of thing. Good review though :D

Ditto what her ladyship says! ;-D