Sunday, January 14, 2007

Movies!

I had wanted to do full all-out reviews of these, but it would take too much time to do them. I'll just do a little now, right then?

So for Christmas both my sister and I bought my Dad a Netflix subscription (he loves movies). So, for ideas for movies to rent, we've all been pitching in.

I wanted to see two movies: Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War, and The Legend of Boggy Creek.

First off, let me discuss Tae Guk Gi. A Korean-made film about the Korean War, I've seen it before (December of '05 was when I saw it originally), but have been in the mood to see it again, partly because of the Korean War documentary that I've been watching recently (I bought it at that library book sale back in early December along with Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings).

It is quite gory (to some, it would be called unbearable, yet to me, it isn't that bad), has some of the best battle sequences I have ever seen (and I mean ever), and is also a very heart-wrenching story. It centers around two young, innocent brothers, who both get transformed by the horrors of war. Eventually, without spoiling the story (hey, am I being too silly in wondering if you all will watch it on my recommendation? ;-D), I will only say that both of them do things wrong, one even committing war crimes. That's as far as I'll go so as not to ruin the plot. The first time around, it almost seemed like the main characters did some very awful things (one in particular), but on more reflection, one thing comes out to me: this film is trying to show the horrors and evil of war, and illustrate that some decisions made in the rigors of those emotionially-charged experiences are not always right ones. In short, this movie shows war for what it really seems to be to me. I highly recommend it. (Be prepared to tear up if you do that in movies. I didn't cry, but the movie is certainly a "tear-jerker" as well as one that makes you cringe.)

Now, for The Legend of Boggy Creek. It was made in 1975 as a docu-drama about the Fouke Monster of Arkansas (a Bigfoot). It is very famous to all devoted BF buffs, and is comprised of dramatizations of the actual encounters (most of them acted out by the actual people who had the encounter), and, even though I heard it was low-budget, it is done very well. The suspense is perfect, the story lures you in, and even the guy in the ape suit doesn't look too bad (the camerawork was great, and most of the time succeeded in avoiding filming him directly so as not to make him look too "fake"). A few thoughts about the applications of some scenes in this film, though.

In one scene, a mother and her three children see the creature, and the mother tells her children to run, then runs after them. (The 'squatch does not follow). Now let me say that although few encounters of Bigfoot are ever violent (although a few Boggy Creek ones were), I will assume that BF would be a threat to children here, as any large animal might be. So, if I had been the mother, what would I have done (besides prayer and wetting one's pants), and barring her course of action and use of weapons since she had none?

1. You could stand there, staring at the creature, doing nothing, and hoping it will become disinterested.

2. Challenge the creature. This would not be hard, since BF is an ape. All you have to do, is challenge him in ape language. Pounding your chest and baring your teeth would work nicely, and I would also think yelling or roaring might as well. But BFs likely (make that definitely) know that they are physically superior, so would this be a bad course of action?

3. Be submissive in ape language. Do not bare you teeth, and look down. Would this work?

4. Or, I could try commanding the creature to stand down, or to be off, in the name of Jesus Christ. This has worked on animals before, and would be a good thing to do, in my opinion. If you have the faith you can move mountains....

5. Finally, if you had no other course of action (not that point 4 wouldn't work, that's not what I am saying at all), you could take the final moments of your life to buy the children time. You are what stands between them and certain death (granted the creature was being aggressive). So, you use that to your advantage. You know you will lose the fight, but still you gain the upper hand in regards to the fact that you control the animal, you make him do what you wish. You challenge him, take him on. Maybe you run a bit, and let him chase you down (you wouldn't get very far). You use the only weapon you have, and that is you. You cannot hope to defeat a 'squatch in combat, so you let him kill you, but ensure that you delay him enough so that the children will escape with their lives.

This would be the last course of action to take, and should only be taken as the last measure. But still, it is an option.

In another scene, three girls are alone one night having a sleepover (another reason to not leave women alone), and the creature comes a calling. He never hurts them physically, but gives them the scare of their lives. This was the most difficult part of the whole movie to watch, and I even found it disturbing to a degree. Knowing that this really did happen and is not just a movie makes it all the more real. If only I could had been there...

Anyways, I wasn't scared at all throughout the entire movie although I would definitley call it a "scary" movie.


So, all in all, Tae Guk Gi and The Legend of Boggy Creek are two of the best movies you'll ever see--some of the best ever made.

6 comments:

Laetificus Letificus said...

I like your reviews.

I don't think I would watch the Korean one because war doesn't usually interest me. I would probably cry. I cry in pretty much every movie...if I'm watching it seriously.

I don't think I would watch the Bigfoot one either because I can't handle scary movies!

I really did enjoy reading the reviews though. Its always interesting learning more about someone.

Anyway, I updated my blog.

Well, I hope you're doing well. Have a good night.

Oh and when you graduate do you have a ceremony or just get a diploma by mail or what?

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I'm actually home-schooled, Sara!

Anyways thanks for the comments! Glad you enjoyed it....!

In the Bigfoot movie I was perfectly calm the entire time (even though they did better on the scary suspense than any movie I've ever seen before, it just wasn't getting to me), but it scared my dad enough to where he was getting chills! 8-O


Anyways, thanks for the well-wishes.

Catch ya later!

Laetificus Letificus said...

Yes, Spencer I know you are home schooled :)

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Okay, now I can answer your question (I see what you mean now, sorry for the confusion!)

The answer is: Good question! I have no idea! Ha ha! ;-P

Laetificus Letificus said...

:D

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Thanks for commenting, I really love it and I don't really get too many anymore.